Skip to main content

DIY Disney Dramatic Play Kitchen

A while back I saw this darling Minnie Mouse play kitchen. I fell in love with it but didn't have the money to buy it for my classroom. (But if you are wanting to skip the DIY path, the paint stained hands, and the frustration you can buy it through Amazon by clicking on the picture.)

                                                   
What I did have in my room was a wood play kitchen set that had seen better days, but beggars can't be choosers. The longer I looked at them, the more I got the itch to paint them. I covered the back of the little stove with bulletin board paper when I turned my dramatic play area into Mickey's Bakery. You can see pics of that Here. That helped for a little while, but when that came off and you could see the ugly back again, I knew it was time.


I have never done a furniture DIY project. I'm sure this comes super easy to some people, and with practice I'm sure it would be easier for me to do too. Painting it red was no problem. I bought some handy Poppy Red Spray Paint and went to town. I also bought a stencil to make polka dots. I talked to someone and they suggested just getting white spray paint for the polka dots too. DO NOT DO THIS. It was so hard. Just buy some white acrylic paint and do it with a brush. I pretty much wasted a can of spray paint doing cover ups.

You can buy a polka dot stencil here:
Decoart Americana Decor Stencil Polka Dot Pop





It definitely is not perfect. If someone knows the great stencil trick let me know. But I was pretty pleased with how it turned out for my first try, and I like it WAY better than my ugly old wood. Plus you can't go wrong with adding more Mickey/Minnie to your classroom. I'm loving this theme. It makes work feel like Disneyland when you can't be at the real Disneyland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mickey Behavior Chart

Last year was the first year I tried a behavior chart. I threw something together in the middle of the year because I needed to change up my classroom discipline for some of the students in my class. I ended up really liking the color chart and the visual concept for kids.  So I knew I needed a new one. And since my classroom is Mickey I thought why not? Another teacher gave me the scrapbook paper, but you could use any kind. I cut out the mickey heads out of black construction paper and had the whole thing laminated at Lakeshore who had a coupon for free laminating with any purchase. (Woot woot!) I just use regular clothes pins for the names. But you could spruce them up. You could even modge podge cute scrapbook paper on them. I did that to the clips that hold their art work.  If they end the day on blue (I'm a Handy Helper) they get in the treasure box.

Mickey Crafts for Mickey's 90th Birthday

Happy Birthday Mickey Mouse!  Earlier this month my class celebrated Mickey's 90th birthday! We had a "birthday" party, complete with Mickey mouse cupcakes, veggie chips & Gold fish in the shape of Mickey and water bottles that one of the mom's brought with Mickey Mouse labels. And we did some Mickey Mouse crafts! We were working on the letter M this month, so we did M for Mickey Mouse. I cut out the letter M in black paper, the kids glued the red part, two yellow buttons, and mouse ears. Super easy, and super cute. We also made a Mickey Birthday craft. The kids used glitter and glue to decorate Mickey's birthday hat and added the colored circle stickers for a fun confetti/party look. It was a fun week! I always enjoy when I can add an extra pop of Mickey in my classroom!